Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership legal preliminaries

Foreign nationals

If you are a foreign national from outside the European Union or you are marrying or forming a civil partnership with a foreign national, you can both come to the Hull Register Office to give notice, but different rules apply.

Visit the GOV.UK website to find out more about Marriages and Civil Partnerships in the UK for foreign nationals (link opens in a new window).

We work closely with the Home Office to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws.

Anybody found to be -

  • arranging a marriage
  • facilitating a marriage
  • entering into a marriage

solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks -

  • arrest
  • prosecution
  • deportation