Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership legal preliminaries

Documents and information to bring with you

You need to know where you want to get married when you give notice. The place of marriage will be named on your marriage notice. If you want to change the venue for your ceremony you will need to give a new notice. This means paying for your appointment again.

When you give notice we need to see proof of -

  • name
  • age
  • address
  • nationality

If you have been married before we need to see evidence of how that marriage ended.

Documents provided must be originals and from the prescribed list of documents (link opens in a new window) that can be accepted. Contact us before your appointment if you want to discuss which documents to bring with you. 

We can not take your notice if you do not have the correct documents with you.