Urgent marriages and civil partnerships

When one party is seriously ill and not expected to recover, a ceremony can take place quickly by obtaining a Registrar General's Licence.

To enquire if this is possible you will need to contact the register office in the district that the person is located.

Ceremonies under Registrar General's Licence can take place at any location including -

  • the persons home
  • a hospital
  • a hospice

Where possible, you should contact the relevant register office during office hours. Our office hours at 9am to 4.30pm.

To discuss a marriage under a Registrar Generals Licence within Hull, contact us by  -

Email - register.office@hullcc.gov.uk

A letter from the doctor in medical attendance will be required. A template for the doctor to use for this purpose is provided below. This template should be copied onto letter headed paper.

Doctors template


If you are in urgent need to contact the registrar and cannot wait for the next working day, telephone 01482 300 300