Marriage certificates

a picture of a two people signing the registrar

A marriage certificate will only be available after the details have been entered on to the electronic marriage register. You will not receive a marriage certificate on the day of your ceremony, regardless of if you are marrying -

  • at the Register Office
  • in a ceremony at an approved venue
  • in a church

The entry in the electronic register will be made within 7 days of the signed document being received at the Register Office. It is only when this action has been completed that a marriage certificate can be produced.

If marrying in a -

  • civil ceremony, the registrars in attendance at the ceremony will take the schedule back to the Register Office so that the record in the marriage register can be made
  • church, officials at the church will arrange for the document to be taken to the appropriate register office at the earliest opportunity, or they may ask for you to do this yourselves. The completed document must be returned to the Register Office in the district where the marriage took place within 21 days of the ceremony

You can use the form below to request a certificate for a marriage of civil partnership registered after the 4 May 2021.

A statutory fee of £11 is payable for each certificate requested.

You can request marriage certificates before your ceremony, but they cannot be produced until the marriage document has been received by our office and entered in the electronic register has been made.

When requesting a certificate you will be given the option of purchasing a keepsake folder. Choosing this options prevents the certificate from being folded. The certificate is A4 in size, and if this option is not selected it will be folded as necessary for the envelope size.

Apply for a certificate

Order a copy of certificate for a marriage registered before May 2021

The Register Office holds all original marriage registers for marriages that have been registered in Hull from 1837 to current day, including those marriages registered in a church, and can produce copies of the original entries.

To order a copy of a marriage or civil partnership certificate, you will need to know -

  • the name of church
  • the date of the wedding or civil partnership
  • the name of both parties

For more information on copy certificates