Getting married abroad

a picture of two rings on a beach

If you are getting married abroad, different rules may apply depending on the country where your ceremony may be held.

You may need to provide a Certificate of No Impediment. This is a formal certificate that confirms there are no objections to your proposed marriage or civil partnership.

To apply for a Certificate of No Impediment, you need to attend an appointment at your local register office. You need to complete legal preliminaries in the same as you would if marrying in England or Wales.

Contact us to arrange an appointment -

Email -

We cannot issue a certificate for all countries. The rules vary from country to country. You will need to contact the local authorities in the country where you want to get married or enter into a civil partnership to find out what you need to do.

A Certificate of No Impediment is only valid for certain timescale. It is important that the information supplied when obtaining the certificate is accurate. Seek advice from the country where your ceremony is taking place, you may need to complete paperwork with them.

When having a ceremony abroad, your marriage or civil partnership should be recognised in the UK if you follow the correct process according to local law. You will not need to register it again in the UK.

If you have any concerns about the validity of your marriage you should seek legal advice.

Visit GOV.UK website for more information about getting married abroad (link opens in a new window).